Skip to main content

Throwback Thursday


I want to talk about this photo, because a lot of my coworkers had a laugh about it not long ago.

The reason I pulled it out originally was because, in that basket, is a Pound Puppy, and we'd been talking about toys from our childhood.

There's a lot more to this picture, though, which appeared in the Telegram-Tribune many, many years ago.

I'm standing next to a painting I did. The one against my right arm, sort of stretching from neck to waist. It looks like a horse with a beard and cloven hooves and stars floating right above it? See there? Underneath that compelling portrait of a boy turned toward the artist?

I was never a good artist, but this does show that, even back then, I told stories. You see, on the ground in front of that unicorn with wings (fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic would call it an alicorn), there is a dead stag. Dripping from the unicorn's horn in the stag's blood. They'd fought, you see, and the unicorn won. You can see the stag's horns. In retrospect, now it looks more like a dead chicken with its feet in the air.

How old am I? Eight? Nine? Old enough that I clearly picked out my own clothes (do you see how dirty those sneakers are?) but still thought it was okay to take a stuffed animal to an art show. But my art told a story. I'm thankful now I have the words to tell those stories rather than relying on my hideous artwork. Which, by the way, has not improved in the thirty years since this art show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review of "The Dare Club: Nita" by Laurie Bradach and Kim “Howard” Johnson

Laurie and Kim will be awarding a $20 Amazon Gift Card to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour, so make sure to leave a comment here and visit the other stops on the tour: http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2012/11/virtual-review-tour-dare-club-nita-by.html Series:  The Dare Club Format:  E-book & Paperback Genre: Contemporary YA, Mystery Length:  330 pages in paperback Blurb: Nita Conroy has relocated to the most boring town on the planet. That is, until would-be boyfriend Brad Keeley spills the beans about a secret group of girls known as The Dare Club. During her subterranean initiation below the high school, Nita overhears a plan by contractors and school officials to embezzle millions of dollars in grant money. When she is betrayed, The Dare Club's pranks become deadly serious. With the clock ticking, Nita will need the help of her new friends to expose the chilling plot--and hopefully survive long enough to snag a date to the homecoming dance. Excerpt: At le

Outlining, directions and sample

First, a great resource on outlining is at  http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/544/1/ . Below is a sample outline I'm working on for my sample research paper on green iguanas. Corina Calsing 13 September 2012 Calsing Writing, period 1 Outline for Research Paper: Green Iguanas I. Introduction     A. Hook     B. Thesis     C. Summary of subtopic II. Body paragraph – Diet     A. Fruit        1. Mango            a. Green/ unripe mango            b. Ripe mango        2. Bananas            a. Frozen – does not like            b. Too ripe – does not like            c. Slightly firm, a little green        3. Other fruits on occasion            a. Strawberries            b. blueberries     B. Vegetables       1. Collards       2. Mustard greens       3. Green bell peppers       4. Other veggies            a. Cassava -- cooked            b. Green beans            c. Peas     C. Water     D. Kibble III. Body paragraph – Habitat     A. Cage     B. Bedd