Why I would recommend this book to kids:
- If you love Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, you'll love this.
- If you loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, you'll love this.
- Fun talking animals, battles between bandits and coyotes, a lost little brother... There is a lot of action going on here, and Prue is a great main character who learns and grows through the entire story.
- Illustrations will also keep you engaged.
Why I recommend this book as a teacher:
- Colin Meloy uses words that middle schoolers may not yet be familiar with, but does a good job of using context clues. This helps with vocaulary acquisition.
- Strong female lead will appeal to girls, while the side kick Curtis will be popular with boys. Both characters have an adventure of their own where they learn and grow.
- Progressive, hipster ideals are presented in a fun, adventurous novel.
- This is the first in a series, so finding the next book your child will want to read is easy!
AR Level: 6.3