Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Taro and Bread

I finally pulled the taro up yesterday, after a few frosts had killed off most of the leaves. It certainly didn't get the full time in the soil that it should have, but I did get plenty of tubers to use. Half of the harvest I sliced up and put in the food dehydrator as a first step toward flour. I probably should have done a little research first. Seems it would have been better to make poi first and then dehydrate it, which in hindsight makes a lot of sense. Boiling it first would get a lot of excess starch out of it which might affect the bread consistency afterward. I'll try that next time.

I still have a bag full of taro tubers in the fridge as well. For, I'd say $0.99 worth of investment -- and some time -- I've got quite a bit of stuff to work with.

I've also got bread starter going right now, and have been baking everyday for three days straight. So far, the sponge method is working best. A cup of starter is mixed with a cup of flour and water and left to sit over night. In the morning, I make my dough by adding enough flour to get to the right consistency. That sits until it rises enough, then I bake it in a dutch oven. Today's bread is a take on brown bread. I added brown sugar, molasses, and corn flour, along with my regular white flour and whole wheat flour. We'll see how it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment